Looking for the Best Sleeping Pills?
Seeking out the best sleeping pills may not be something people think would have a substantial impact on their everyday lives. If you want to be at the top of your game however, both in the gym and in the day-to-day life, then getting quality sleep on a consistent basis is an absolute must.
Unfortunately for many of us, due to life stressors, work, family obligations, and so on, it isn’t always possible to get a solid seven to nine hours of deep sleep every single night of the week. Seven to nine hours is the recommended sleep time for adults according to the National Sleep Foundation.
Another factor to consider is that intense training and hard dieting can often make it very difficult to switch off at the end of the day, especially without your appetite running rampant. This is where good sleep aids can prove especially useful.
Related: Top 10 Greens Supplements for 2017
The Importance of Sleep and the Dangers of Insomnia
Sleep is a crucial aspect of our lives, and not getting the appropriate amount can lead to some undesired consequences. Lack of sleep, believe it or not, can increase the risk for Type II Diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and other health conditions. Not getting a sufficient amount of sleep also increases the risk of falling down, especially in the elderly. Additionally, the chances of getting into a car wreck are increased, posing a danger not only to your own health, but to that of others.
Anxiousness, depression, irritability, are all things insomnia and lack of sleep tend to induce in people. Not sleeping well can affect your attention span, your memory, as well as you ability to learn.
The biggest danger is not that we don’t have treatment for insomnia or sleep disorders, we do have medicine to treat it, it is the fact that less than half of the people who need help sleeping, actually make the effort to treat their sleeplessness.
If you think you may need help, and just cannot sleep well on a regular, this help guide to recognizing and treating insomnia is a great place to start.
How Do Sleeping Pills Work?
Sleeping pills containing ingredients such as valerian root and melatonin work wonderfully in line with our bodies existing hormonal mechanisms to trigger a state of relaxation which helps us more easily drift off into a peaceful night of rest.
In this list we are going to look at the ten best sleep aids and sleeping pills as rated by athletes, bodybuilders, and average everyday folk based on their efficacy and overall value for money.
These rankings should give you most of the information that you need to determine the type of sleeping pill that is right for you.
Top 10 Best Sleep Aid Products for 2017 – 2017
#10 – NOW Foods Valerian Root
NOW Foods Valerian Root is a new addition to this year’s list of the best sleep aids, brought to you by one of the world’s leading dietary supplement manufacturers and offering 1 g of Valerian Root per serving. — Check Price
- Provides 1 g of Valerian Root per serving
- Include added Calcium for enhanced results
- Available in bottles containing 125 servings
- Manufactured using a simple formula with no unnecessary excipients
If this is the first time you have used a sleeping pill then it definitely makes sense to start with a simple product like NOW Foods Valerian Root because it contains just one ingredient aside from the gelatin capsule.
#9 – Irwin Naturals Power To Sleep PM
Retaining its ninth place ranking for a second consecutive year is Irwin Naturals Power To Sleep PM, which contains a fairly comprehensive range of effective ingredients including herbal extracts, fish oils, minerals, and much more. — Check Price
- Provides 2 mg of Melatonin per serving
- Contains Magnesium and Calcium to provide additional benefits
- Includes proven relaxants such as Valerian Root and Hops Extract
- Also includes Black Pepper Extract to facilitate nutrient absorption
- Available in bottles containing 30 servings
Irwin Naturals Power To Sleep PM is an extremely potent sleep aid which has proven itself in countless positive user reviews, so it is definitely worth considering if you want something that will guarantee you forty winks.
#8 – Top Secret Nutrition Sleep
The aptly-named Sleep by Top Secret Nutrition has fallen considerably from its place in third position compared to last years sleeping pill rankings, but it is still definitely one of the best products of its kind. — Check Price
- Contains GABA to stimulate the onset of sleep
- Contains Melatonin to help you fall asleep and stay asleep
- Includes the proven relaxant and mood enhancer 5-HTP
- Also includes Goji Berry Extract for potent antioxidant benefits
The fact that Top Secret Nutrition Sleep has been produced as a proprietary blend means that we can’t be sure exactly how much of each compound is included; however, its popularity is undeniable among athletes and bodybuilders.
#7 – Arnold Schwarzenegger Series Iron Dream
Arnold Schwarzenegger Series Iron Dream is an incredibly well formulated sleep aid supplement that has been designed for athletes and bodybuilders who train hard on a consistent basis, giving your body everything it needs to recover from your intense workouts. — Check Price
- Available into great-tasting flavours
- Available in packages containing 30 servings
- Designed specifically for athletes and bodybuilders
- Contains a wide range of vitamins, minerals, and herbal extracts to aid sleep
- Also contains BCAA and Glutamine to stimulate muscle protein synthesis and assist the recovery process
Amazingly enough, Arnold Schwarzenegger Series Iron Dream is actually a new addition to this year’s list of the best sleep aids, and we can certainly see it rising through the ranks in subsequent years.
#6 – Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Somatomax
Speaking of rising through the ranks, Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Somatomax has managed to climb up a couple of positions from eighth place compared to last years sleep aid supplement rankings. — Check Price
- Contains GABA to help you fall asleep
- Available in three fantastic flavours
- Includes amino acids to stimulate growth hormone release during sleep
- Contains Vitamin B6 to aid recovery from training
Growth hormone plays an important role in the removal of excess body fat as well as in the recovery process as a whole, making Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Somatomax excellent choice if this is a concern of yours.
#5 – Nature Made Melatonin Tablets
Nature Made Melatonin Tablets are a newcomer to this year’s sleeping pill rankings, launching its way straight into a highly respectable fifth position. — Check Price
- Provides a 3 mg of Melatonin per serving
- Also available as a Maximum Strength 5 mg tablet
This is a highly potent melatonin supplement that is all but guaranteed to help you drift off to sleep with very little difficulty so that you can wake up feeling refreshed and ready to take on the next day.
#4 – NOW Foods Melatonin
When it comes to the best sleeping aids there is no denying that melatonin ranks very highly, and NOW Foods Melatonin provide you with an excellent reliable way of getting an effective dose of this powerful sleep aid. — Check Price
- Contains 3 mg of Melatonin per serving
- Available in bottles containing 60 capsules and 180 capsules
The effectiveness of NOW Foods Melatonin is quickly apparent when you take a look at the amount of positive reviews it has received from users, which is why it has managed to retain its place in fourth position for a second consecutive year.
#3 – Natrol Melatonin Fast Dissolve
Another impressive newcomer to this year’s top sleeping aid supplement rankings is Natrol Melatonin Fast Dissolve, which comes available in a range of different strengths depending on your personal needs. — Check Price
- Provides 3 mg of Melatonin per tablet
- Available in a delicious Strawberry flavour
- Also available in tablets containing 5 mg and 10 mg of Melatonin
- Available in bottles containing 60 tablets and 90 tablets
Natrol Melatonin Fast Dissolve comes as a delicious strawberry-flavoured tablet which dissolves within seconds in your mouth to begin taking effect within an hour.
#2 – Lifesmart Laboratories Sleep Right Melatonin 5 mg
Lifesmart Laboratories Sleep Right Melatonin 5 mg proved itself to be the best sleep aid of last year, and although it has been knocked from its top spot this year it is still the preferred choice of insomniacs around the world. — Check Price
- Winner of our 2014 Best Sleep Aid award
- Provides 5 mg of Melatonin per tablet
- Suitable for vegetarians
- Available in bottles containing 275 tablets
- Designed with a time-release formula for prolonged effects
Its intelligent formula means that you can enjoy a prolonged release of melatonin into your system while you sleep, helping you to get more hours of high-quality deep sleep without waking up in the middle of the night.
#1 – Optimum Nutrition Melatonin
Optimum Nutrition has proven itself time and time again to be the world’s leading manufacturer of sports and health supplements, and it is highly deserving of this year’s Best sleep aid award due to an overwhelming surge in popularity and a veritable mountain of praise from users worldwide. — Check Price
- Provides 3 mg of Melatonin per tablet
- Available in bottles containing 100 tablets
- Contains added Calcium and Phosphorus for enhanced sleep benefits
- Brought to you by the world’s most popular supplement brand
If you are really serious about improving the quality of your sleep and doing so on a consistent basis then you really can’t go wrong with Optimum Nutrition Melatonin, the best sleeping pill supplement of 2017 – 2017.
Wrapping Things Up
So as you can see that there is quite a lot of variation when it comes to sleep aids, with some products relying on melatonin alone and others combining a range of herbal supplements for a more comprehensive spectrum of effects.
Whichever you choose, it makes a lot of sense to start with the bare basics such as Optimum Nutrition Melatonin to see how your body responds.