Glucosamine Supplements Guide
While its benefits make deciding to give glucosamine a try easy, understanding which supplement is right for you requires a little more thought. Thankfully, we have put together this comprehensive list of the ten best glucosamine supplements available.
Things to Look for in a Good Glucosamine Supplement
A good glucosamine supplement should meet a few basic requirements. The things you should look for in a good glucosamine supplement include
- Containing a high dose, 500 mg or higher, of glucosamine per pill.
- Containing either glucosamine hydrochloride or sulfate.
- Containing other ingredients. Not all ingredients are created equal.
- Being distributed by a trusted name in the vitamin and supplement industry.
Taking a Glucosamine Supplement
Taking a glucosamine supplement is easy. Check the supplement bottle to read the recommended serving size and read any provided dosing instructions carefully. Follow the company’s serving and dosing instructions. Most supplements recommend taking one to two pills per serving.
Glucosamine Products Compared
If you buy anything using the links below, we get a commission.
The Schiff Glucosamine supplement is a high-dose joint supplement with 1000 mg of per coated tablet. The recommended serving size is two tablets, making for a 2000 mg serving of potent glucosamine hydrochloride. E
Each serving also includes 3.3 mg of hyaluronic acid and 2000 IU of Vitamin D or 500% of the daily value for a 2000 calorie diet. Schiff has been producing and distributing high-quality vitamins and minerals since 1936, including their range of brands like MegaRed and Airborne.
- Schiff formula uses the HCI or hydrochloride version of glucosamine, which is touted to be the most potent. Also, their formula has no added sugar or salt.
Nutrilite Glucosamine 7 packs a lot of nutrients into their easy-to-swallow pills. Each two pill serving contains 750 mg of glucosamine sulfate along with 15 mg of Vitamin C and some of their proprietary blends.
They pack a powerful joint health cocktail of OptiMSM with MSM and Chondroitin along with their 5-Loxin formula and Acerola Cherry Concentrate. Nutrilite from Amway is an international vitamin and supplement brand that grows their ingredients on their own organic farms.
- Works fast
- Also contains Vitamin C and other antioxidants
NOW Foods Glucosamine packs 1000 mg of glucosamine into each pill, giving you a powerful 2000 mg recommended dose. The glucosamine hydrochloride formula is known to be the most potent version of glucosamine available in a supplement. Their formula is corn free, dairy free, egg free, gluten free, nut free, and soy free. NOW Foods is a family-owned vitamin and mineral brand known for developing the glucosamine test method that was chosen as an official industry standard.
- High dose of glucosamine, the vegetable capsules, and NOW’s award-winning glucosamine test method.
Bluebonnet Glucosamine Chondroitin Plus MSM packs plenty of nutrients into each capsule. The three capsule recommended serving contains 1000 mg of glucosamine sulfate, 500 mg of chondroitin sulfate, 500 mg of MSM, and 500 mg of Vitamin C.
Bluebonnet has been delivering nutrients to unlock “the power inside” since 1991 with a focus on high-quality, natural supplements.
- Powerful mixture of ingredients in Bluebonnet’s formula, and their kosher vegetable capsules and avoidance of common allergens like soy, milk, nuts, eggs, and wheat.
- Fairly low dose of key ingredients per capsule.
Nature’s Way Glucosamine offers 750 mg of glucosamine sulfate per two-tablet serving. The sodium-free formula delivers the glucosamine you want with no unnecessary ingredients added.
Nature’s Way tests all their products for quality and potency. Nature’s Way, part of the Schwabe Group, is a supplement company that focuses on high-quality ingredients that are sourced on a global level.
- Nature’s Way uses a sodium-free formula
- Relatively low dosage of glucosamine per tablet, and that the sulfate version of glucosamine is used, which is reported to be less potent than glucosamine HCI.
Last but certainly not least, is the Nature’s Bounty Maximum Strength Glucosamine. This supplement has one of the highest doses of glucosamine per pill available on the market with 1500mg per pill or 3000 mg in their two-tablet recommended serving.
Each recommended serving also contains 400 IU of Vitamin D3, which is 100% of the daily value for a 2000 calorie diet. This supplement is made by Nature’s Bounty, a proven name in the vitamin and supplement field with a reputation for quality and value.
- High dose of glucosamine per pill, allowing you to reap the benefits with fewer pills.
- It also carries the trusted Nature’s Bounty name
Solaray Glucosamine Sulfate combines a strong dose of glucosamine and a powerful antioxidant blend. Each two-capsule serving contains 1500 mg of glucosamine sulfate or 750 mg per capsule.
The Solaray formula is mixed with a herb blend, including Boswellia and turmeric and provide an additional antioxidant benefit. Solaray, founded in 1973, is the flag-ship brand from Nutraceutical, a leader in the health food market with a full line of herbs, vitamins, and minerals.
- Powerful dose of glucosamine per serving and the added antioxidant benefits of Solaray’s proprietary blend.
Twinlab Glucosamine Sulfate offers 1500 mg per serving or 750 mg per capsule of glucosamine sulfate in their concentrated formula. Their capsules are small, go down easy, and dissolve quickly for maximum absorbency.
They come packaged in a glass bottle to increase the stability and quality of their capsules and to ensure freshness. Twinlab is a supplement company founded in 1968 by a pharmaceutical expert that specializes in vitamins, minerals, herbs, and teas.
- Pills are small, soft, and easy to swallow.
- Fast-dissolving, so they get to work a lot quicker.
- Does not contain any of the other commonly used joint health ingredients, and the glucosamine is the sulfate version, which some indicate is not as potent as the hydrochloride variety.
Thorne Research Glucosamine and Chondroitin is full of beneficial nutrients. Their convenient one capsule serving can be taken up to three times daily. Each capsule provides 500 mg of glucosamine sulfate.
The formula also contains 250 mg off chondroitin sulfate, as well as potassium and chloride.
- Formula includes chondroitin
Pure Encapsulations Glucosamine Sulfate has only the glucosamine you need and no other additives. Each vegetarian capsule packs a strong dose of 1000 mg of glucosamine sulfate. The company recommends taking one to two capsules daily with meals.
If taking two doses, it is recommended to take them at different times of the day. Pure Encapsulations is a vitamin and mineral supplement brand with a commitment to pure ingredients and no additives.
- High dosage of glucosamine per capsule
- Vegetarian capsules
Hopefully this list and the brief guide to glucosamine at the top has brought new information and knowledge in your hunt for the best glucosamine product to add to your routine.