If you’re looking for the best amla extract supplements to buy this year, then you’ve come to the right place.
You can also get more info by jumping to our Amla Extract Supplements Guide.
Top 10 Amla Extract Supplements
|#1||Nutrigold Organic Amla||More Info|
|#2||Himalaya Organic Amla/Amalaki||More Info|
|#3||Swanson Full Spectrum Amla Fruit||More Info|
|#4||Organic India Amalaki||More Info|
|#5||Terrasoul Superfoods Amla Powder||More Info|
|#6||Apollo Amla Capsules||More Info|
|#7||Paradise Herbs Amla||More Info|
|#8||Bixa Botanical – Amla||More Info|
|#9||Solaray Amla Extract||More Info|
|#10||Organic Aura Certified Organic AMLA Capsules||More Info|
Amla (Phyllanthus Emblica), is an edible fruit tree native to the Indian subcontinent. The name Amla is derived from the ancient Sanskrit name for the fruit- “Amalika.” In English, it is called Indian Gooseberry.
Amla is very popular in India and used extensively in local cuisine in pickles and preserves. But it is its status in Ayurveda, the traditional medicine system of India, that has caught the attention of researchers across the world.
Though relatively less known in the West, the health benefits of Amla has been well documented in Ayurveda over thousands of years. And with increasing research findings, more and more health and nutrition brands are offering Amla fruit extracts to consumers.
What Are Amla Extract Supplements?
The fruit of the Amla tree is the size of a small lemon, with a light green color. The dense flesh is very bitter and sour and not easy to consume raw. In India, Amla is generally consumed dried, or after being preserved in brine or sugar syrup. So even if they are available fresh, consuming raw gooseberries is not something everybody will enjoy. This is why extracts of the fruit are becoming popular as a supplement.
There are several types of Amla based supplements available in the market, ranging powders of the dried fruit, to concentrated extracts created from the fresh juice. These supplements are available in powder and capsule forms. Amla extracts are consumed as a dietary supplement with the aim of boosting general health and are not recommended as medicine for any particular illness or medical condition.
Benefits Of Amla Extract
In traditional Indian medicine, Amla is known and used for its digestive benefits and cooling effects. Amla is an essential ingredient in rejuvenating tonics in Ayurveda, especially the popular health supplement called Chyawanprasha. The fruit and tree extracts are also used to treat constipation, fever, cough, asthma, eye conditions, purify the blood and as a stress buster. To better understand the benefits of Amla, a close look at its chemical profile is essential.
Amla Extract Chemical Profile
The fruit extract contains an extensive list of bio-active chemicals and compounds. The more important ingredients include:
- Vitamin C: This is one of the main ingredients in Amla extracts since the fruit is incredibly rich in this vital nutrient. Vitamin C is considered an essential nutrient. It is necessary for overall health, strong immune system, healthy heart, eyes, muscles, and skin.
- Minerals: The fruit is rich in Phosphorus, Iron, Calcium, and Sodium, which are all essential for critical organ systems in the human body.
- Apigenin: belonging to the Flavone class of natural compounds, this particular chemical has been found in many healthy plants and vegetables like parsley, celery, and chamomile.
- Gallic Acid: this is type phenolic acid, a naturally occurring compound in stuff like tea leaves, strawberries, grapes, bananas, cloves, and several other plants.
- Ellagic Acid: a naturally occurring phenol found in many fruits and vegetables, Ellagic acid a known antioxidant.
- Chebulagic Acid: another antioxidant with benefits to the liver, as well as in the control of diabetes.
- Tannins: Amla is also very rich in this class of compounds, which are found in many healthy vegetables and fruits.
- Other Antioxidants, Phenols, and Flavanoids found in the extract include Quercetin, Chebulinic Acid, Corilagin, and Luteolin.
- Rejuvenates body: Amla is one of the richest sources of beneficial antioxidants, phenols and tannins in nature. With a high Vitamin C content, Amla extracts have enormous benefits for general health and well-being of the human body. It has a rejuvenating effect on the human body and its essential organ systems. The high antioxidant content helps boost your immune system.
- Slows the aging process: This is another well-known benefit of antioxidants. They help decrease the damage caused by free radicals in your body, especially the skin.
- Promotes a healthy liver: Amla extracts contain compounds that are known to have a positive impact on liver health. It helps reduce the stress on this vital organ.
- Potent anti-inflammatory effect: The cooling and healing effect of Amla is well documented in Ayurvedic treatises. Modern research has shown its potential in reducing inflammation, in particular for illnesses and conditions like osteoporosis and arthritis.
- Beneficial For Diabetes: Some bio-active compounds in Amla extracts may help inhibit the absorption of glucose, and assist in maintaining a healthy blood sugar level.
- Cardiac health: Vitamins and minerals in the fruit can boost the health of your cardiovascular system, and help reduce cholesterol in the body.
- Neurological Benefits: Amla is used extensively in Ayurveda for its positive effects on the brain and mind. Modern studies indicate that some of its ingredients have a healing effect on the neurological system.
Are There Any Side Effects?
Natural Amla extract is a plant product derived from the fruit of the Amla tree. None of the major components in its ingredient profile show any potential medical risks or side effects. No allergy effects have also been recorded about amla. But if you suffer from any major diseases or are taking medication for any conditions like heart disease or diabetes, it is always great to take the advice of your doctor before trying any new supplement, be it herbal or otherwise.
For instance, Amla is known to have a significant effect on blood glucose levels. If you are already taking medication to keep your blood sugar at a safe level, consuming potent Amla extracts may bring it down even further, which may not be a desirable outcome in all cases. The same goes for individuals with severe heart conditions, as Amla is known to have a strong stimulatory effect on the heart.
How To Take Amla Extract Supplements
The supplements are generally sold either in powder form or as capsules, and even liquid juice extracts. The powder should be dissolved in water for easy consumption. It should have a mild bitter-sour taste, so you can try using a juice of your choice, or honey instead of plain water. You can even use it in your healthy organic smoothies. The suggested dose is one or two spoonfuls a day.
The capsules are the easiest to consume since you don’t have to worry too much about mixing it with liquids. Just swallow one or two capsules daily, depending on the dosage as mentioned by the manufacturer. The juice of the fruit may be the hardest to deal with since it has a very sharp astringent taste and flavor. The best way to drink the juice is by adding it to a mixed juice/smoothie recipe.
What To Look For In A Good Amla Extract Supplement
Finding a safe amla supplement is not exactly rocket science. There are just three main things you need to keep an eye on while choosing an amla supplement:
- All natural fruit extract: Ensure that the product is derived from 100% natural amla fruit, preferably using processes like cold press extraction.
- Zero preservatives/fillers: Amla doesn’t need any since it contains a high dose of ascorbic acid. So only buy a supplement that has 100% amla extract, with no filler substance or additives.
- High Tannin Content: Amla is rich in tannins and other nutrients, but sub-optimal processing methods can cause a decrease in the percentage of these beneficial compounds. Look for supplements that promise at least 30% or more tannins for a high-quality product.
Amla is a super-food rich in many beneficial nutrients and consuming it on a regular basis is great for your overall health. Contrary to any claims that you may find online, it is not a cure for any illness or condition. But it does have a positive effect on the body and can help reduce the chance of getting serious illnesses in the future. As long you keep this in mind and buy only all-natural high-quality supplements, you will not be disappointed with results.