Looking for the Best Iodine Supplement in 2017?
The popularity of iodine supplements has been steadily increasing in recent years due to the number of beneficial roles that it can play throughout the human body.
One of the most fundamental purposes of iodine within the body is the effect that it has on correct functioning of thyroid hormone production.
Simply put, low levels of T3 and T4 thyroid hormones, or hypothyroidism, can make it incredibly difficult for men and women to lose body fat, and can in fact cause a significant rebound in weight gain.
On the other hand you can help fat loss process along by keeping your thyroid hormone levels relatively high with the assistance of an iodine supplement.
In addition to this iodine can help rid the body of heavy metals and other environmental toxins, while also playing an integral role in optimal functioning of the immune system and other endocrine functions.
Unlike more popular dietary and sports supplements like whey protein powder, creatine, amino acids, and so on, the general population tends to be less familiar with the details surrounding what makes a good iodine supplement.
For this reason we have compiled a top 10 list of the best iodine products on the market using factors such as the quality of the formulation and the overall feedback received from athletes and average individuals.
10 Best Iodine Products
#1 – J.CROW’S® Lugol’s Solution of Iodine 5%
Due to an overwhelming explosion in popularity and a vast amount of positive feedback received by users, J.CROW’S® Lugol’s Solution of Iodine 5% has shot up from its 2015 third position to take the title of this year’s best iodine supplement.
- Contains a 6.25 mg of Iodine per serving
- Available in a convenient liquid form
- Provided in a small bottle with a dropper for easy use
- Available in bottles containing 600 drops
- Contains Iodine and Potassium Iodide for comprehensive bioavailability
A liquid form of iodine definitely seems to be the best way to go because it offers you the convenience and practicality of being able to put a few drops into your water that you can then sit on your leisure rather than having to take all at once.
This means that you will be benefiting from a more sustained release of Iodine into your bloodstream throughout the day rather than having one large bolus in a single serving.
#2 – NOW Foods Kelp Caps
NOW Foods has done an amazing job with its Kelp Caps product and has managed to enter this year’s list of the best iodine products in second position, just falling short of the top spot by a small margin.
- Contains 325 µg of Iodine per serving
- Iodine content is sourced from natural Kelp
- Includes an additional 150 mg of Dulse per serving
- Available in bottles containing 250 capsules
With a brand like NOW Foods you can rest assured that you are receiving some of the best quality ingredients in the world, and what’s more this product offers some fantastic value for money.
#3 – Optimox Iodoral High Potency Iodine / Potassium Iodide
Optimox Iodoral High Potency Iodine / Potassium Iodide does exactly what it promises on the bottle, delivering you an extremely high level of iodine so that you can read the fullest benefits possible.
- Contains a total of 12.5 mg of Iodine per serving
- Provides 5 mg of Iodine and 7.5 mg of Iodide per serving
- Manufactured using the Potassium Iodide salt form
- Available in bottles containing 90 tablets
Iodoral High Potency Iodine / Potassium Iodide by Optimox has actually managed to smash its way into third position as a newcomer in this year’s list of the top iodide and supplements, making an impressive and highly competitive addition to our list.
#4 – LL’s Magnetic Clay Nascent Iodine
LL’s Magnetic Clay Nascent Iodine is certainly not the most cost-effective iodine supplement on the market but it does offer the unique nascent form of iodine for unprecedented absolution and bio-availability.
- Provides 400 µg of Nascent Iodine
- Available in a convenient liquid form for easy dosing with a dropper
- Provided in bottles containing 2026 drops or servings
The basic concept behind LL’s Magnetic Clay Nascent Iodine is that it is paramagnetic form provides you with a more sustained and prolonged release of iodine into your system over a period of two or three hours after taking each dose.
#5 – Biotics Research – Liquid Iodine
What we have here is Biotics Research – Liquid Iodine, another great liquid iodine supplement, but this time it has been formulated using purified water to create a suspended potassium iodide solution.
- Provides Iodine in the form of Potassium Iodide
- Contains 150 µg of Iodine per serving
- Suitable for vegetarians and vegans
- Provided in a convenient bottle with a dropper for easy dosing
- Available in bottles containing two fluid ounces or 60 ml
If you are looking to take advantage of the convenience of a liquid iodine product but you would rather go or a more conventional form such as potassium iodide then Biotics Research – Liquid Iodine may certainly be the right choice for you.
#6 – Detoxadine ~ Advanced Iodine Supplement
Detoxadine ~ Advanced Iodine Supplement is an excellent iodine product which has managed to climb its way up from ninth position to sixth compared to our 2015 list of the best iodine products.
- Contains the 1347 µg of Iodine per serving
- Available in a convenient liquid form with a dropper
- Available in bottles containing 200 servings
- Uses Nano-Colloidal Nascent Atomic Iodine for enhanced bioavailability
- Manufactured with a vegetable glycerin base and no alcohol
This is a completely alcohol-free formula which provides a very convenient liquid form of iodine that you can use on a daily basis by simply squirting the few drops into your water that you can sip throughout the day.
#7 – IOPlus by Pure Horizon
Speaking of synthesised forms of iodine, we have IOPlus by Pure Horizon entering this year’s iodine rankings at seventh position and allowing you to boost your iodine consumption in the form of Potassium Iodide.
- Contains 5 µg of Iodine per serving
- Manufactured in the synthesised salt form of Potassium Iodide
- Also contains 15 µg of Selenium and 15 mg of Riboflavin per serving
- Available in bottles containing 60 capsules
- Suitable for vegetarians and vegans
IOPlus by Pure Horizon is definitely one of the best iodine supplements because it gives you the added benefit of providing a decent dose of Selenium and Riboflavin so that you don’t have to take these as separate stand-alone dietary supplements.
#8 – Swanson Premium Kelp
Swanson Premium Brand is an excellent manufacturer of dietary supplements with all kinds of great vitamins and minerals in their range, so it is unsurprising that there are fantastic Kelp product stands at the position this year.
- Contains 225 µg of Iodine per serving
- Available in bottles containing 250 tablets
- Made using the healthy sea vegetable Kelp
- Manufactured with a convenient one-a-day formula
It should be noted that this product may contain traces of shellfish, so if you are a vegetarian or suffer from a shellfish allergy then you may be better off opting for one of the more synthesised forms of iodine on this list.
#9 – Pure Encapsulations Potassium Iodide
Pure Encapsulations Potassium Iodide is another new entry into this year’s iodine supplement rankings, providing you with a solid dose iodine in the alternative form of potassium iodide.
- Provides 225 µg of Iodine per serving
- Iodine is provided in the form of Potassium Iodide
- Suitable for vegetarians and vegans
- Available in bottles containing 120 capsules
This is a very simple iodine supplement which provides nothing but pure Potassium Iodide in vegetarian-friendly capsules and you can take on a daily basis to boost your iodine intake.
#10 – Nature’s Way Kelp
Nature’s Way Kelp is a new addition to this year’s list of the best iodine supplements, using natural kelp which is a potent source of both iodine and iron.
- Provides 400 µg of Iodine per serving
- Contains 390 µg of Iron per serving
- Available in bottles containing 100 capsules
- Offers a simple and cost-effective way of adding extra Iodine to your diet
The iron content of Nature’s Way Kelp makes an excellent choice of iodine supplement for women.
Wrapping Things Up
Hopefully this list has given you a little more insight into iodine supplementation. We recommend speaking with your doctor before taking any supplements featured on this site.