Looking for a Calcium Supplement?
Calcium is an essential mineral which plays a number of crucial roles throughout the human body, not least in the formation and maintenance of bones, tendons, and ligaments.
In addition to this calcium contributes to the fat loss process, as well as assisting hormonal and enzymatic functions, and the recuperation of muscle tissue after bouts of intense exercise.
With all of the different roles that calcium plays in the body it should quickly be apparent why adding a calcium supplement to your diet may be exactly what you need to enhance your health and improve your performance both in and out of the gym.
How Much Calcium Do You Need?
Speaking with your doctor is the best way to determine how much calcium you should be getting per day. Along with that info, they can inform you on whether or not you should add a calcium supplement to your diet or stick strictly to natural sources.
That being said, there are some general recommendations put online for the recommended calcium amount for men and women. Your calcium needs are dependent on your age and sex.
Daily calcium requirements for men
Age 70 & younger: 1000mg
Age 71 & older: 1200mg
Daily calcium requirements for women
Age 50 & younger: 1000mg
Age 51 & older: 1200mg
Natural Sources of Calcium
While taking a calcium supplement is a great way to meet your daily requirements, it isn’t the only way. In fact getting calcium from the natural food sources below should be your first priority before adding a supplement:
- Egg Yolks
- Beef Liver
- Dairy Products
- Orange Juice
- Certain cereals
- Fatty fish (salmon, mackerel, tuna)
How to Choose a Good Calcium Supplement
There are a wide range of calcium supplements available on the market ranging in both type and quality, so we have compiled a list of the top 10 best calcium pills so that you can more easily determine which product will be the best choice for you and your personal requirements.
These calcium supplement rankings have been put together using criteria such as the popularity of each product, feedback received from users, the choice of ingredients used in each formulation, and of course, value for money to ensure your cash is well spent.
10 Best Calcium Supplements for 2017
#1 – Caltrate 600+D3
Delivering the goods in terms of quality, quantity, variety, and overall value for money is the winner of our 2017 best calcium supplement award: Caltrate 600+D
- Provides 600 mg of calcium per tablet
- Includes 800 IU of Vitamin D per tablet
- Available in bottles containing 50, 60, 120, and 200 tablets
- Also available as Gummy Bites or Soft Chews
- Soft chews are available in Chocolate Truffle and Vanilla Creme flavors
Caltrate 600+D can be both practical and delicious at the same time without breaking the bank, and the particularly large dosage of Vitamin D makes it an excellent way of also bolstering your immune system and staying healthy throughout the year.
#2 – Nature Made Calcium 600 Mg, with Vitamin D3
Nature Made Calcium 600 Mg, with Vitamin D3 is another budget calcium supplement which definitely doesn’t skimp on quality, offering a decent dose of both calcium and Vitamin D in each tablet.
- Provides 600 mg of calcium per tablet
- Contains a 400 IU of Vitamin D per serving
- Available in bottles containing 220 servings
- Provides excellent value for money
Although Nature Made Calcium 600 Mg, with Vitamin D3 has received an overwhelming amount of positive feedback from users around the world, it is still falls to #2 when compared to this year’s top calcium supplement.
#3 – Citracal with Calcium D Slow Release
Citracal with Calcium D Slow Release features an intelligent slow release formula that provides a sustained release of calcium into your system, providing plenty of time for your body to absorb as much as possible.
- Slow release formula ensures optimal rates of absorption
- Provides 1200 mg of elemental calcium per serving
- Provides 1000 IU of Vitamin D per serving
- Contains 80 mg of magnesium per serving
- Includes 5 mg of sodium per serving
- Available in bottles containing 40 servings
Rest assured that this product is a great calcium supplement that features additional minerals to provide your body with added benefits and ensure your bones stay super strong.
#4 – Kirkland Signature Calcium 600mg + D3
Kirkland Signature Calcium 600mg + D3 is definitely one of the more cost-effective calcium supplements on the market, providing a massive 500 tablets in each bottle.
- Provides 600 mg of calcium per serving
- Contains 400 IU of Vitamin D per serving
- Available in bottles containing 500 servings
If you are operating on a particularly tight budget then Kirkland Signature Calcium 600mg + D3 is almost certainly going to be the one for you.
#5 – Os-Cal Chewable Calcium 500 + 600iu D3
Os-Cal Chewable Calcium 500 + 600iu D3 is another excellent calcium supplement which provides a fairly high dose of Vitamin D in addition to a decent amount of calcium, plus you will enjoy the added benefit of a tasty chewable tablet.
- Source your calcium in a tasty chewable form
- Provides 500 mg of calcium per tablet
- Provides 600 IU of Vitamin D per tablet
- Available in bottles containing 120 chewable tablets
- Tablets are flavored with a Light Lemon Chiffon flavoring
This calcium supplement is another great choice for those of you who would rather not have to swallow chunky pills, except this time you’ll have the peace of mind that you are using a higher and arguably more optimal dose.
#6 – Nature’s Bounty Calcium 1200 Mg. Plus Vitamin D3
Nature’s Bounty is a highly reputed manufacturer of dietary supplements so it should come as no surprise that its Calcium 1200 Mg. Plus Vitamin D3 supplement features at a highly respectable sixth position in our 2017 calcium supplement rankings.
- Provides 1200 mg of calcium carbonate per serving
- Contains 1000 IU of Vitamin D per serving
- Available in bottles containing 100 servings
- Vitamin D3 is used for optimal absorption and bioavailability
Calcium 1200mg Plus Vitamin D3 by Nature’s Bounty provides a high dose of calcium and a high dose of Vitamin D, removing the need for a stand-alone Vitamin D supplement unless you are insistent upon using a particularly high dosage.
#7 – Citracal Plus Bone Density Builder Calcium and Vitamin D
If you are looking for a calcium supplement that can provide a little more above and beyond the standard calcium and Vitamin D formula then you might want to consider checking out Citracal Plus Bone Density Builder Calcium and Vitamin D.
- Contains 600 mg of elemental calcium per serving
- Includes 400 IU of Vitamin D per serving
- Also includes zinc, copper, manganese, and other essential minerals
- Contains the soy isoflavone genistein
- Available in bottles containing 60 servings
Those of you already using a multi-mineral supplement may not need to invest in a product like this which contains extra minerals, but if you aren’t then it could provide a lot of added benefits in the long running.
#8 – Bayer Citracal Calcium Citrate Plus D3 Maximum
Bayer Citracal Calcium Citrate Plus D3 Maximum is a very simple, no-nonsense calcium supplement that uses a basic formula combining calcium with Vitamin D to provide the maximum rate of calcium absorption and bio-availability.
- Provides 630 mg of elemental calcium per serving
- Provides 500 IU of Vitamin D per serving
- Available in bottles containing 140 servings
As with most of the supplements we are looking at in this top 10 list of the best calcium pills, Bayer Citracal Calcium Citrate Plus D3 Maximum users Vitamin D3 specifically for its superior bioavailability and compatibility with the human body.
#9 – Nature Made Calcium Adult Gummies Assorted
If you are already taking a number of different supplements then you may be growing tired of popping handfuls of pills every single day, so if this sounds like you then you might want to consider checking out Nature Made Calcium Adult Gummies Assorted.
- Obtain your calcium in a tasty candy form
- Provides 500 mg of calcium per serving
- Calcium is provided in the form of tricalcium phosphate
- Contains 700 IU of Vitamin D per serving to enhance calcium absorption
- Each bottle includes cherry, orange, and strawberry flavors
Nature Made Calcium Adult Gummies Assorted is a great idea for a product, especially for those of you who want to use a top calcium supplement but would rather not have to swallow oversized chalky tablets all the time.
#10 – Schiff Super Calcium Carbonate 1200 mg with Vitamin D3 800 IU
The combining of calcium with Vitamin D is a fairly common practice these days because of the latter’s ability to enhance the absorption of calcium, so it is good to see this being implemented in Schiff Super Calcium Carbonate 1200 mg with Vitamin D3 800 IU.
- Provides 1200 mg of calcium per serving
- Provides 800 IU of Vitamin D per serving
- Available in bottles containing 60 servings for a two month supply
- Vitamin D is added to enhance the absorption of calcium
It is worth noting that 1200 mg of calcium is a relatively high dose to take on a consistent basis, especially when used in combination with Vitamin D, so you could stretch this supplement even further by taking a half dose on occasion.
Wrapping Things Up
So we can see that there is some of variety in calcium supplements in terms of the dosages used. There is, however, a common theme of calcium being combined with Vitamin D in order to ensure optimal rates of absorption and bio-availability.
If you are uncertain because this is the first time you are using a calcium supplement then your best bet would be to go with one of our top calcium products like Nature Made Calcium 600 Mg, with Vitamin D3 or Caltrate 600+D.